Arsenal 1
  Newcastle United 3


Starting Lineup


Starting Lineup

13. Taylor, Stuart
3. Cole, Ashley
4. Vieira, Patrick
5. Keown, Martin
7. Pires, Robert
11. Wiltord, Sylvain
12. Biscal, Lauren
14. Henry, Thierry
15. Parlour, Ray
23. Campbell, Sol
25. Kanu, Nwankwo
Arsenal Newcastle United
Pires (20) O'Brien (60)
Shearer (84 pen)
Robert (90)
Arsenal Newcastle United
van Bronckhorst Kanu 46
Bergkamp Wiltord 67
Lua Lua Solano
Robert Elliott
Arsenal Newcastle United
Ray Parlour 24
Patrick Viera 34
Sol Campbell 84
Gary Speed 20
Craig Bellamy 33
Andrew O'Brien 63
Ray Parlour 42 (2nd yellow) Craig Bellamy 73 (2nd yellow)
Additional Notes
Referee: G. Poll
Attendance: 38,012
1. Given, Shay
3. Elliott, Robbie
4. Solano, Nolberto
5. O`Brien, Andrew
8. Dyer, Kieron
9. Shearer, Alan
11. Speed, Gary
17. Bellamy, Craig
18. Hughes, Aaron
34. Dabizas, Nikos
35. Bernard, Olivier



10. Bergkamp, Dennis
16. van Bronckhorst, Giovanni
18. Grimandi, Gilles
20. Upson, Matthew
Stack, Graham
 32. Robert, Laurent
20. Lua-Lua, Tresor Lomano
13. Harper, Steve
22. McClen, Jamie
24. Distin, Sylvain
Match Report
Newcastle's London hoodoo was finally brought to a grinding halt last afternoon at Highbury.

In the controversial fiery encounter with Arsenal, 4 yellow cards were flashed, and 2 players were given their marching orders by referee Graham Poll. The home side started the game positively, and should have went ahead in the 12th minute. Defender Ray Parlour slid in a clever ball to Nigerian striker Nwanko Kanu, who sidestepped goalkeeper Shay Given, but his shot went over the bar in the end.

Arsenal went ahead in the 20th minute, when an unmarked Ashley Cole squared the ball to Frenchman Robert Pires, who slotted the ball past Given and into the net. The visitors appealed for a handball, but their protests were waved away by Poll. Arsenal came close to scoring again just 5 minutes later, when Sylvain Wiltord unleashed a powerful shot, which was subsequently saved by Given.

As the game wore on, more players were booked. Speed, Viera, Bellamy and Parlour were all given yellow cards. Then in the 42nd minute, a harsh sliding challange by Parlour on Magpies' skipper Alan Shearer saw Poll flashing yet another yellow card - a second for Parlour. Arsenal were now reduced to 10 men.

The second half started more positively for Newcastle, despite getting an early scare when substitute Giovanni van Bronckhorst swiveled and shot straight at Shay Given. Craig Bellamy won a corner for Newcastle minutes later, which was cleared by the home defenders. Newcastle's equaliser came in the 60th minute, which was, to be fair, a result of poor defending by the home side. Andrew O'Brien was left unmarked the near post, and a simple header following a cross from substitute Lomano Lua Lua ended up at the back of the net.

Both sides were equal in numbers 13 minutes later. Bellamy, who was earlier booked for dissent, elbowed Cole. Poll did not hesitate to flash the red card, and both sides were now reduced to 10 men.

In the 84th minute, Newcastle substitute Laurent Robert raced clear of the defenders, and was in a one-on-one situation with goalkeeper Stuart Taylor. But defender Sol Campbell managed to slide in. But this desperate lunge cost Arsenal dearly. Poll pointed to the penalty spot, and Shearer put the ball past Taylor for his first ever goal for Newcastle at Highbury. Robert laid the icing on the cake in the dying seconds of the second half, when he raced clear of the defenders again, and this time putting the ball into the net.

The final whistle drew angry protests from both Arsenal fans and players. Thierry Henry had to be restrained by officials as he hurled abuse at Graham Poll, and Martin Keown was seen protesting to the assistant referees.